Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sickies

A few weeks ago on a Tues or Wed Zoey randomly got a fever. I thought perhaps it was her last tooth coming in. She didn't act very sick. A little grouchier than normal but otherwise fine. I gave her medicine to help with the fever for the next few days but didn't think she needed to go to the doctor. Then, that Saturday John texted from work asking me to come pick him up because he was sick. This is very unusual because he drives to work so if he was sick enough not to drive home that wasn't good. We got him home and he was nauseous, had a headache, and a fever of 102.6 . I thought he had the stomach flu. He slept until he felt less nauseous and could take some IB profin for the fever and headache. Before Zoey went to bed I noticed she had a slight rash on her chest and belly. Needless to say, we decided we wouldn't be going to church the next day. I researched online after Zoey went to bed to figure out if I should take her to the doctor and figured out she most likely had Roseola which completely explained the fever and then a few days later when the fever breaks, the rash. Not serious and by the time the rash is there it's almost over. So good, no doctor for Zoey.
We called Zoey a speckled from while she had her rash and constantly were singing the speckled frog song :)


Now John, like many men it seems, can be a big baby when he's sick. So Sunday he's complaining about everything and I'm nursing him as best I can. Monday comes and he doesn't go to work again but they tell him if he is going to miss another day he'll need a doctor's note. So I ask if he thinks he'll miss Tuesday and wants to go to the doctor. He keeps going back and forth. "I should go in tomorrow" "I should go see the doctor" I told him it was fine either way but I didn't think the doctor would do anything, just tell him he had the flu. He kept complaining about how tired he was and that he just had no energy and a bit of a sore throat. I still thought he was just being a baby. Finally he decided to go to the doctor. We went and they did a strep test- negative. Then after talking with him more the doctor was like, hmm sounds like mono, let's do a mono test. I was like, huh, never thought about that. Well that test came back positive. (and boy do they do those tests fast now, like 5-10 min and we had results!) Sure was nice to know exactly what he had (and yes I felt bad for thinking he was just being a baby when he had a legitimate reason for being so tired). Doctor wrote him a note excusing him from work for the next week so he could try to rest and recover. He told him he could go back earlier if he was feeling up to it but the more he rested the faster he would probably get better. He ended up staying home the whole week which I think was a good thing. It was nice having him around so much and Zoey got a lot more comfortable with him and would sit with him sometimes which was cute. But why don't they plan these things better and not overlap their illnesses? Makes for one tired Mama bear. But at least I didn't get sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment